Sunday, January 3, 2010

2010, a New Year With a New Outlook

I look back on the last few years of the past decade and see many mistakes as well as many triumphs. When I think about the decisions that I made, I also think about the outcome that they presented. I recognize many times that I have succeeded in the past 5 years, but more importantly, I want to think about the bad choices, the ones that still linger and cause me to second guess my self.

I challenge everyone that reads this post to think of the following:
  • In the last decade (or 5 years if you are younger) what are some things that you did that you are proud of? Think of these things and write them down, put them in a safe place and look at them again in 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 years. What have you done now that tops these things
  • Make a list of all of the bad choices that you made. Take one that bothers you most and think it out. Why did you make that choice? What can you do now to prevent that from happening again? Put these answers in a safe place and come back to them when you struggle with the same problems again.
  • After you do the two things above. Forget the past. It is likely that things happened that you would rather not remember. The loss of a good friend, a divorce, or the passing of a loved one. Forget these. Start new in a new year and a new decade.
I know that I made some horrible decisions in my past, but now I am going to put those behind me because there is nothing that I can do about them now. I will try my best not to make the same mistakes again, and to above all, put God first and follow the plan that he has for my life.